Thursday, January 12, 2012

Using the slow cooker!

I have found that I really like my slow cooker! In the past, all I would use it for is a roast...that would be over cooked and dry, not appetizing! So I have just recently started using it a lot more, and we have really liked the outcome. I found a site called Eat at Home Cooks. They recently posted a packet of favorite slow cooker recipes. We have been trying them out...they are yummy!

A few that have been gobbled up at our house are:

Chicken Fried Pork Chops
6 pork chops (boneless or with bones)
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
oil for frying chops
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/3 cup water

Instructions:
1. Mix flour, salt, ground mustard, and garlic powder together.
2. Dredge the chops in the flour mixture and fry in a skillet. You don't need to cook them all the way, just get them browned.
3. Put the chops in the slow cooker.
4. Mix the soup and water together. Pour into the hot skillet, stirring to pick up the little crispy pieces left by the chops.
5. Pour the gravy over the top of the chops in the slow cooker.
6. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours.

I made no changes to this; very tasty! I served them with mashed potatoes and salad. Nice comfort food!!

Italian Parmesan Herb Chicken and Potatoes
2 lbs. frozen chicken tenders
1 med. onion, sliced
1 1/2 lbs. New potatoes, quartered
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1-2 T olive oil

Instructions:
1. Place chicken in the slow cooker. Top with sliced onion.
2. In a small bowl, combine garlic, herbs, salt, pepper, parmesan and oil. Toss with potatoes.
3. Put potatoes over chicken and onions in slow cooker.
4. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours.

So I couldn't find chicken tenders in the organic meat area at the store, so I used bone in breast and rib meat. It turned out great. The meat fell off the bone easily and I saved a bit of money by getting the bone in type. This meal smelled up the house wonderfully so that I couldn't wait to dig in. Every one at our house at it! I served it with cooked carrots seasoned with salt and dill. Next time I may just add the carrots in so it all cooks together! Yum, and I am free to get other stuff done around the house while it is all cooking away. Love that!!

1 comment:

  1. I never used a crock-pot till we got 3 for our wedding.... and I am loving it too! Great for cooking while you do other things- only the smells make you hungry all day. =)

    ReplyDelete